I had a bit of an odd occurrence today. Any search on a Magento site I run was producing no results, just a “Your search returns no results” notice.
So I did the usual checks:
- Made sure products were active and in-stock
- Made sure all products were searchable
- Flushed the cache
- Rebuilt the search index
but no luck, still no results. I can’t say I recall encountering this problem before either.
So the next thing I decided to try was to update a product (I just made an irrelevant change to the product data of a random product). Well that seemed to make that one product searchable again. So I thought I’d scale that out and update all products, by:
- View your products (Catalog > Manage Products), I only had 90 odd products so could fit them all on one view.
- Select all products by clicking ‘Select All’
- Then update their attributes on mass by ‘Actions > Update Attribute > Submit’
- Then make a change to them simple by going to the ‘website’ tab and licking the ‘main website’ box (Websites > Main Website > Save)
That was it for me, a fully restored search index.
I’m not sure how you would fare if you have 1000′s of products to update, you could maybe try a mass export and import.
I’m also not sure what causes this glitch in the first place. As long as it doesn’t keep re-occurring then it’s not really worth the investment of time to look into it further.